When I was a young child, I use to watch my mother eat avocados and enjoy them so much. She would often offer me some, however, after a couple of times tasting them I was determined they were not for me. I went many years assuming I did not like them and never would. This was a big mistake!
Many years later, I decided to give avocados another chance. I bought a couple and added them to my salad. To my surprise, I actually liked them, not just a little but a lot. How could this be? Well, the simple answer is our taste buds do change. Therefore, I learned an important lesson, we should not be quick to label a food “nasty” and assume we will never like it.
Avocados can be added to your salads, sandwiches, wraps, tacos, smoothies, etc. They are a good source of potassium and are high in monounsaturated fats which may lower your LDL “bad’ cholesterol.
If you have children, remember to be patent with them when you offer a new food. They might have to try it 10-15 times before they develop a taste for it. Also, if you have never tried avocados, give them a chance. Remember, you too might have to try them several time before you enjoy them…it happened to me.
This is a colorful and tasty salad that is especially good during summer months. It is easy to prepare and only has a few, simple ingredients. For variation, add chopped onions, black beans, and/or red pepper according to taste preference.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cool Time: 10-20 minutes
Total Time: 25-35 minutes
- 1 ear corn on the cob, husk, and silk removed
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 large tomato, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- Cook the corn on the cob in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Cut the corn off the cob and collect the kernels in a bowl.
- Mix the corn kernels, avocado, and tomato in a big bowl and toss with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Serve cold.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
(Based on 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper)
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Vegetables: 1 cup
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 138 calories
- Carbohydrates: 12 grams
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Sodium: 592 mg
Source: Med Instead of Meds