What’s on Your Plate?
Think about how much food goes on your plate before you eat. Use MyPlate when planning your meals to help you include foods from all of the food groups (vegetables, fruits, grains, and protein). Everything you eat and drink matters. The right mix can help you be healthier now and in the future.
- Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Try to eat more whole grains and a lower fat milk.
- Eat a variety of foods from the protein group.
- Compare sodium in foods and choose those with less sodium.
- Drink water instead of soft drinks and eat desserts less often.
- Foods that are high in solid fats – such as cakes, cookies, ice cream, pizza, and hot dogs are not foods you need to eat every day, just occasionally.
Try this quick pizza recipe that includes all of the food groups!
- 4 slices whole wheat bread or English muffins
- 1/2 cup low sodium spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits in own juice (drained)
- 1/2 cup lean diced ham
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toast bread or muffin until very lightly browned.
- Place toasted bread or muffin on a baking sheet.
- Spread 1/2 of the spaghetti sauce onto each slice of bread or muffin half.
- Place 1/2 of the pineapple tidbits and 1/2 of the diced ham on top of the spaghetti sauce on each slice of bread or muffin half.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese on top of pineapple and ham on each slice of bread or muffin half.
- Bake at 350°F for 4-6 minutes or until cheese melts and bread or muffins are thoroughly heated.