Family Meals – Fast and Healthful
Find this article at:
Here are some tips for making fast and healthy meals:
- Cook once for everyone. Does your child like plain vegetables, meat, rice and noodles? If so, set some aside before you add other ingredients. You would not need to take time to prepare different foods.
- Cook a fast way. Broil, stir-fry, or microwave when you can.
- Make no-cook meals: salads with canned tuna, chicken or beans; cold sandwiches, raw vegetables, or yogurt dip with fruit. Hint: Kids like finger foods!
- Double or triple the amount. Cook for today and later. You can make enough meat sauce for spaghetti today and for topping a baked potato tomorrow.
- Stock your kitchen. Get foods that you can make and serve in a hurry, such as canned fruit, canned or frozen vegetables, canned beans, canned meat, poultry, and fish; canned soups or stew, whole grain bread, pasta, rice; cheese, and low-fat yogurt.
- Involve your little helper. Ask your child to set the table, pour milk, or do other simple tasks. In time, children develop the skills and confidence to help even more. Preparing family meals also fives you time together, even on busy days.