Enjoy Dessert Guilt Free
For many of us the dessert is our favorite part of the meal. However, some feel guilty after eating it due to the fact that many have large amounts of fat, sugar and calories. However, we can enjoy our dessert and avoid the guilt by following these tips:
- Cut your cake and brownies into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve fresh fruit.
- Make smaller cookies and reduce the amount of chocolate chips.
- Use Splenda for half of the sugar when baking or reduce the amount of sugar and add spices such as cinnamon or allspice to enhance the sweetness.
- Reduce the fat in baked goods by substituting half the butter or shortening with unsweetened applesauce or mashed bananas.
Desserts can be simple, delicious and nutritious. Try this delicious recipe: “Almost a MyPlate Sundae” from Texas A&M Extension.
Almost a MyPlate Sundae
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 1 sundae
- 1/2 cup fresh, sliced strawberries or other fruit (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 graham cracker square, crushed
- 1/2 cup fat-free or low-fat yogurt (any flavor)
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts (any type)
- Wash your hands and clean your cooking area.
- Wash and slice fruit.
- In a plastic sandwich bag or bowl, crush the graham cracker square.
- In a small bowl, layer the crushed graham cracker, yogurt, fruit and nuts.
Serving Size: 1 sundae
Amount per serving:
Total Fat: 7g (9% DV)
Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% DV)
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 5mg (2% DV)
Sodium: 115g (5% DV)
Total Carbohydrates: 30g (11% DV)
Fiber: 2g (7% DV)
Total Sugars: 23g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV)
Vitamin D: 0% DV
Calcium: 20% DV
Iron: 6% DV
Potassium: 10% DV